A motherboard, logic board, or motherboard takes the form of a large circuit board with a connector, processor, memory modules, expansion boards, etc.
What is a motherboard and what is it used for?
The motherboard is one of the essential parts of a computer because most of the parts are not directly connected. It is also known as a motherboard and is an essential component of the computer.
The motherboard is mounted in a cabinet (enclosure) almost always made of sheet metal and provided with a pallet to connect external peripherals and other internal connections and sockets for later installation.
This results in the inclusion of a firmware known as BIOS, allowing to perform essential functions such as recognizing video devices, keyboards, peripherals or loading operating systems such as Windows or Linux.
- Form factor – Often used to classify motherboard based on geometric type for motherboard layout, dimensions and power requirements.
- Chipset (Motherboard Brain) – Defined as an electronic circuit whose function is to coordinate the transfer of data between different computer components. It is integrated into the motherboard.
- CPU socket:The structure of the processor, when inserted into the motherboard, is called the processor socket. There are slots with rectangular connectors to directly insert the processor and another square with several other small connectors.
- Input and output connector – Input and output are multiple connectors depending on the version of this item or recently released, if it will have some items
- Platform:Depending on the platform (like AMD or Intel) it will have different functionality.
Types of motherboards
There are several types of motherboards, including:
- Board of directors. Used by IBM AT INC and was established in 1984. If you are thinking of a more advanced disk drive, this is a giant card. One of its drawbacks is that it can make faults via its connector via the power supply.
- BBAT plate:It was designed in 1985, and although it is smaller than AT, the functionality is almost identical. Due to its depth, it facilitated the insertion of small boxes, which explains its success in the market.
- ATX card. They were created in 1995 by Intel. It is a model that has overcome the losses of the previous ones. This is a plate in which the most used ports are located in front of the application slots. In other words, multiple cards can be inserted into the motherboard.
- Micro AXT card:This is a small size for the motherboard. It is minimal and only has space for 1 or 2 AGP or PCI slots. That’s why USB or FireWire ports are included. Today’s era is the most modern.
Motherboard parts or components
Responsible for powering the computer from power sources. As a result, it transfers energy to optical and large-scale storage devices.
This involves receiving the processor from the PC and connecting it to the rest of the equipment.
RAM memory locations
This is a connector between 2 and 4 units. It is designed to insert memory cards into a computer.
Depending on what is added to the computer, they are given different types of cards.
This is a connection that assumes a microprocessor connected to the chipset. However, it has become obsolete thanks to hyper-transport and quick-path.
Connected to the chipset with RAM.
Connects the microprocessor with input and output connectors as well as expansion slots.
Input and output connectors
Allow the computer to be connected to external devices, that is, connect input devices and output devices. Some of them are USB, parallel port, P2S connector, RJ45, DVI, HDMI, VGA, IDE or ATA.
It is a series of electronic circuits that manage the transfer of information between computing devices. It is a very valuable part for the motherboard.
Its primary objective is to regulate the speed of implementation of the devices and consequently of the microprocessor.
A small portion of memory is used to store important information on the computer, even when it is turned off.
This is a small program that is placed on the motherboard in read only memory. It is software that keeps everything in order and the smooth running and ordering of goods.
This is a small battery that powers the CMOS to hold data such as the date and time.
It is designed by the computer brain, and it is the brain that manages the execution of the computer. Likewise, it is compatible with internal calculations and is responsible for sending user requests to the computer for implementation.
These are the devices that are responsible for maintaining the temperature in which the processor and the PC operate so that everything is in good condition and therefore the equipment is not damaged.
How the motherboard works
The motherboard is a means of communication between the essential elements of the computer; it is achieved through electronic circuits that provide electricity, each connection location and a particular slot or slot capable of connecting additional adapter cards. Make.
In other words, the motherboard unites everything and is therefore the most complex process in the modern computer. You can then watch the action in more detail in the following video:
Recommended motherboard brands
ASUS – represents the quality of motherboards and video cards. Players use them extensively.
ASRock – has made a name for itself since 2002, and by not building high-end products, it’s perfect for low-end computers where budget is a priority.
ECS (PCChips) – It is the fifth largest motherboard manufacturer in the world.
EVGA It is a brand that mainly thinks of gamers and high-end hardware seekers.
Intelligence – their processors are excellent, and if you combine them with their motherboards, you get a huge advantage from this combination in terms of performance.
Interesting related article: “What is hardware?” “