Israel is an expensive place to go because of the prices of their goods there. However, there may be some things you can change to make your stay economical. But, you have to be keen and sensitive to haggling and negotiating.
As Israel is a place rich in culture, there are also people with obvious differences in systems and beliefs. Hence, here are some of the things that can help you save your money when shopping in Israel.
- Plan your purchases. When you travel elsewhere, it’s normal to get a little ahead of yourself, right? Well, get ahead of yourself! Research the place and look at places where you can probably shop once you’re already there. This is to guide you on the budget you should allocate for your purchases and how much money you would generally bring.
In addition to planning your purchases, it would also be helpful to read local shopping blogs to help you out. In that case, Nody is a credible resource for buying advice and price comparisons in Israel.
- Don’t buy based on emotions. There are a lot of good and attractive things you can find in Israel for sure. But that doesn’t mean you should buy immediately once you see one you like. Here’s the thing, that item you are eyeing may also be available in another store, at a cheaper price. So, don’t buy on impulse. Instead, explore further. This way you can get better deals and possibly better quality items!
- Well, there’s nothing wrong with giving it a go, right? Sometimes the prices just need a little boost. Depending on where you shop, you can haggle with the sellers accordingly. But, you have to be very sensitive. When they try to say no to you with conviction, let them. If you really want the item, buy it at this price. But if you think you can find it for a lower price, then let it go. Negotiate accordingly and respect systematically.
- Stick to a list. If you’ve done your research before touring the area, we highly recommend making a list. This way you can get an idea of what items you should get so you don’t have any regrets. More so, it will also save you money because you have a guide on what you want and what you don’t want. Because once again, we strongly advise against buying on impulse.
- Do not use taxis. It is common knowledge to anyone who has been to Israel that taxis are overrated. They are very expensive. So we recommend that you refrain from taking a taxi in order to save your money for shopping. But, in case you need to take a cab, tell them to use the meter. If they say they don’t have one, haggle right away.
Traveling is expensive. But shopping doesn’t have to be! As long as you follow our tips above, you will be able to make more informed decisions when shopping in Israel.
Interesting related article: “Shopping habits in Israel”